Please share this video with friends.
Hello, I am Steve Suggs, sales recruiting expert and author of the book, Can They Sell. Welcome to my sales recruitment video blog. 5 minutes of learning to hire the best salespeople.
A few years ago, neuroscientist Antonio Damasio studied people with damage in the part of the brain where emotions are generated and found they couldn’t make decisions. They could describe what they should be doing in logical terms, yet they found it very difficult to make even simple decisions, such as what to eat. This study tells us that
at the point of decision, emotions are very important for choosing.This finding has implications for sales leaders when making important sales recruiting decisions.
It appears, from this study that it’s impossible to avoid using emotion during the hiring process. So, how do we go about in making sales recruitment decisions that are based upon the right combination of emotion and logic? In my experience, we must
- Know the common traits and skills of high-performing salespeople
- Have the right sales recruiting tools to measure these traits and skills
In addition to having the right interview questions for sales, I want to show you a tool that has helped guide my emotions during many hiring decisions. I call this the
“Matching Score Sheet”
Use this sheet in the recruiting process at the point you begin to like the candidate. This sheet is used to score the candidate in five areas:
- character traits
- personality traits
- sales skills
Throughout the interview process, simply begin to score the candidate on a 1–10 scale in each of these five areas. The second half of the matching score sheet should be used for writing in notes as you observe the positive or negative traits of each candidate.
Many times throughout my career, when I have been undecided about which candidate to hire, the matching score sheet has guided my emotions through the hiring process, and I’m confident it will do the same for you.
It will force you to combine your emotions with factual information about the candidate and help you make a decision with the right balance of logic and emotion.
Thank you for joining me. See you next time on the Can They Sell video blog for more sales job recruitment training. As always, please leave your comments below and forward this video to anyone who will benefit. Now go enjoy recruiting the best, and have fun in the sales interview.
Learn more about the following:
• Where to find sales people, where to find sale reps
• What to look for while recruiting salespeople – 5 Dimensions of the Best Salesperson Profile Hiring sales, hire salespeople, hire sales people, hiring sales people, hiring sales reps, IT sales recruitment, recruiting sales people, sales job recruitment
• How to look for the 5 Dimensions – get questionnaires – interview questions for sales, interview questions for salespeople, sales interview, interview questions for sales people
- Sales test, sales assessment, CPQ, Craft Personality Questionnaire
- Sales interview tips
- Sales job description – page 79, Can They Sell book
- Tips for screening resumes – Chapter 13, Can They Sell book
To YOUR Success,